Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Kayaking the Zambezi

If I haven’t mentioned it before this river is epic. Definitely the best I’ve ever paddled. It’s been a while since I last posted here so plenty has happened since then. I’ve got a good few runs from rapid one (the boiling point) normally getting off at rapid 7 ½. It’s a great section still very intimidating, but loads of fun. Rapid 7 ½ has one of the best play waves I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately my shoulders acting up (as is usual) so I’m keeping the playboating to a minimum.

A group of us also did a run all the way down to Lower Momemba one day last week. Normally this is run over two days on a multiday trip, but we did it in one, needless to say it was a long and tiring day, but it was great to see and paddle the rapids beyond 25 which a lot of kayakers never go down too. This section is not as good, but still contains some fun rapids (Upper Momemba being particularly fun)

Time has flew and it’s now into my last week here so I’ll be doing as much paddling as possible over the next week. Unfortunately the headcam is not working out too well. I’ve yet to obtain a stable mount that actually fits (and stays) on and gives good footage. I’ll keep working on it and hopefully get some good footage by the end of the week.

Droping into number 5 - photo Will Clark

No comments: